Friday, February 26, 2016

Welcome to new Design Team Member ... Michelle Van Oudtshoorn


Tell us a bit about yourself
I am originally from South Africa and my husband, children and I immigrated to New Zealand in 2010. We first started off in Ashburton - my daughter was 14 and my son was 17. New Zealand has been so good to us in so many ways and I have not once ever regretted our decision to come and live in this beautiful country.

What's your crafting story?
A friend of mine (who also happened to live in the same street three houses away from me) started a scrapbooking business from her house in 2004 - converting her garage into a shop. She invited me over to come and try scrapbooking and that was me .... totally hooked. I scrapped at every opportunity that I could and when I couldn't sleep in the wee hours of the morning I was at my desk scrapping away. Sometimes I would not sleep all night with ideas of layouts running around in my head. Perhaps the word hooked is a little under exaggerated ....maybe more like addicted! And it didn't help my budget that my friend lived so close by .... I was always in her shop!

What's your style?
My style of scrapbooking has changed over the years - and I love creating pages with flowers. I have a HUGE stash of flowers ... and I have to stop myself buying more. But a girl can never have enough flowers, right? I also love bling and I love chippies.



Who inspires you?
I am inspired by the likes of Anna Dabrowska (Finnabair) - her creations are just jaw dropping gorgeous. I am a little nervous of mixed media - something I really want to get more involved in - so perhaps my goal for 2016 and Finnabair as my mentor? Another favourite - Frank Garcia - his mini albums are amazing. And when it comes to layouts - Gabrielle Pollacco and Di Garling - create beautiful layouts.

What are your favourites?
I don't mind scrapbooking with any colour - if the range of papers are good, it is even easier (although I will admit that my favourite colour is teal). I love a number of companies - and probably would rate Kaiser Craft, Prima, Blue Fern Studios and Graphic 45 as my favourites. Graphic 45 is great for fussy cutting - and of course if you have the patience ... I am rather amazed at my patience, I can spend hours cutting out minute bits of patterns, but lack patience in other aspects of life ... go figure! 

Where do you get inspiration from?
I get inspiration from Pinterest and scrapbooking magazines, and I also follow numerous Facebook pages where other crafters showcase their amazing works of art - my favourite Facebook page is Paper People - there is some serious talent out there!

I am very honoured to be part of the design team for 2016 and look forward to creating with Artfull Crafts this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment