Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sunday Scrapping - Flower Tutorial

Hi Everyone - Lowri here

A really quick post today to recap the week on the blog and share an idea for paper flowers.  This week Tina shared some more wonderful layouts and ideas for using scraps.  I did a post about improving your photos with Picasa.


After I posted about the photo-editing, a few people have asked how they can make the flowers - so here is a tutorial I created last year which shows you just how to do it!

Why not make some from your SCRAPS and enter them into this month's challenge (see all the details here). We would love to see them.  Don't forget we are also looking for new members for our Design Team (see all the details here)

Folded Flower Tutorial

These old maps are beautiful and came from my MIL's second-hand bookshop. They had been there for ages and weren't in great condition so I decided to recycle them into decorations for the shop! You can easily see the progression in map-styles...


I actually thought the differences so obvious in the maps would be reflected in the flowers - but they weren't really - probably because I was a little tentative about cutting right into the middle, "business end" of the maps!
 

These maps are made out of the most beautiful paper. Crisp, thin but very strong - perfect for folding!


The index portion of one of the maps had some wonderful plain black and white text - so I made one of of that too (bottom left in the pic below)


To mount them I hot glued them onto a lightweight bamboo skewer pressed lightly between the joins of the petals - as long as you hold it firm until the glue dries they will be pretty solid


I wrapped some map paper inside a mason jar and placed a lump of old play-dough in the bottom to insert the skewers into the vase!

Tutorial

Hopefully these instructions are clear - note I have used hot glue to stick these as I find it very strong and you only need the smallest amount as the map paper is very lightweight.


Lowri :-)

1 comment: